Friday, November 9, 2012

3 Day Cleanse: Day One

I thought it would be a good idea to blog about my cleanse experience as hopefully motivation to continue and hopefully doing this I might get some feedback from other newbies trying a cleanse. The reason I wanted to do this cleanse was because after watching many documentaries on living a cleaner life, (Hunger for Change was one of them) I decided that in order to start with a clean slate, you need to detox. I'm not going to the extreme as you can by getting Enemas and Colonic Therapy but I thought drinking a healthy juice would be a good place to start! Plus, Paul was out of town this week so I thought it would give me a change to get out of cooking for a few days, especially because when he goes out of town I usually eat horribly!!

Paul and I have been drinking our green drinks in the morning which have been great and something we both defiantly plan to continue to do. I notice that it gives me much more energy and make me just overall feel healthier. Sometimes I like to do them both for breakfast and lunch!


I'm basically following this book called "3 Day Cleanse" (http://www.amazon.com/The-3-Day-Cleanse-Drink-Skinny/dp/0446545716) by Zoe Sakoutis, the founder of the BluePrint Cleanse. It gives you a bunch of recipes to try and it also lets you know how to transition into and out of this cleanse. You cant just jump into drinking juice for 3 days after you've just chowed down on some pizza the night before! I have to be really careful because I'm in the process of training for a marathon (bad timing right?) so I need to make sure that I have enough energy for my long run this Saturday! The added cashew milk at the end of the day is going to help give me the fat that I need for my runs. I'm just glad its going to be Saturday morning and I have two days left of my cleanse. If I had to do the long run on the last day of my cleanse I dont think I could do it! We will see, I'll let you know tomorrow!


One thing I was really excited about is today I bought a juicer!! We have been using the blender and just mixing up our shakes in the morning however, sometimes with all the veggie pulp it makes me want to gag and I have a very hard time getting it down. It doesn't seem to bother Paul, but I just can't stand it! I was actually blending the shakes and forcing them through a small strainer, what a waste of time! I had done ALOT of shopping around as I knew nothing about juicers! There are so many different kinds and brands its overwhelming!! I finally settled on a centrifugal juicer, the Brevelle ikon (apparently I am biased on ikon varieties in my kitchen)(http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-572792/Breville-ikon-Juicer). I found it at Bed Bath and Beyond, had a 20% off coupon and a $50 gift card from awhile back so I got it for $119 which I was thrilled about! I'm so glad I got this juicer! Sounds like a jet when you turn it on!


Another thing about the difference between blending and juicing that I read about in the book is that you can do either. However, if your blending your shakes, it does take away the effectiveness of the detox. The idea behind juicing is that you are suppose to let your body absorb the nutrients that you are taking in quickly and easily to allow your body to start focusing on other areas to detox such as your kidneys and liver. If you are drinking pulp your body still needs to break down these fibers and extract what nutrients it can from them so in essence its not allowing your body to work on other areas as effectively to detox them.


So, I'm sure your wondering how I feel after almost the completion of day one. Well, so far so good. Its pretty hard because I love crunchy things so I am actually craving something with crunch and salt! They say that if you need to "cheat" chew on some celery sticks, this helps to aid in the digestion process because the chewing gets your salivary glands working which is a stimulate for your body to prepare to digest food. I did accidentally cheat today though, I went to Costco since I had to drive about an hour to Waldorf to pick up the juicer and I started snacking away on a few samples until I remembered that I cannot do that. At least it was early in the day and not the final day of detox, my body can still recover ;) But boy did they taste good!! I'm already really craving regular food! I can do it, I can do it, I can do it! I have no doubt that I will not let myself fall into temptation but some french fries sound really good right now! No Food Network until this cleanse is over!


Tomorrow I will start posting some pictures of the shakes that I drank and do a review on how they tasted. Im using today as an introduction! 

No comments:

Post a Comment